Stiffening the Differential Mounts on the Frame

One of the weak points of the TR6 frame is the area at the rear of the car that holds the differential and rear axles.  A previous owner of my car had the front diff  mounts reinforced, but Ted from TSI has a kit available to further strengthen this important area. Besides, this gave me a reason to buy another tool that I really need, namely a MIG welder !  I did a little welding with my Dad while growing up, but that was a long time ago, so practice and reading how- to books was in order.  Hind sight being 20/20, there are two things I wish I had learned before leaving high school....how to type and how to weld !!

Here are the front diff mounts that had been previously reinforced.

My new Hobart MIG welder...
Here is one of the rear stiffeners...gee, I guess welding over a plastic tarp wasn't such a great idea !  DUH !  Again, I don't know why I didn't do this welding before painting !

 Finally, the additional metal added to the front diff mounting area.

No comments: