Aluminum Fuel Tank

Tillie's fuel tank had a lot of "gunk" laying in the bottom, so I knew I needed to do something....either have the original steel repaired, replace the original tank with a new steel tank, or replace the original with a Bastuck aluminum alloy tank. Wife Rhoda pushed me to go with the more expensive aluminum tank...what a Woman!!

The original tank had been repaired at some time in the past, but a flash light inspection showed up rusty spots just waiting to clog up my triple ZS carbs !




The only vendor here in the U.S. that I could find who carries the German- made Bastuck aluminum alloy fuel tank is BPNW (British Parts North West).  Most of the time the tanks are not in stock, so in early January 2012, when I saw they had some available, I wasted no time ordering one.


 These tanks are made to bolt in exactly like the originals, plus they look very cool.


The Triumph factory originally put a strip of felt under the tank for noise control where the tank rests on the floor....I figured these stick-on felt furniture disks would do the same job.


I had already installed a new stainless steel fuel line, so getting new tank hardware seemed to make sense.


Replacing  the tank sending unit will help ensure an accurate fuel gauge.



The tank venting canister was long gone, so I decided to vent the tank through a K&N vent filter located directly below the trunk area of the car.



6-Pack members also recommenced putting a shut off valve in the fuel line...easy to do at this point. 



All installed....gosh, this is almost too pretty to cover up !



Once the tank installation was completed, I finished all the fuel connections up to the fuel pump.


No comments: